[ DISCLAIMER: before you go order the super sized french fry, please read ALL content before making your selection. ]
Potatoes are probably one of the most misunderstood vegetables mother nature graciously gives us. There are over 4,000 varieties of potatoes and nearly 180 wild potato species.
The biggest misconception of the all mighty potato is that they make us fat. Potatoes are off limits for nearly all diet plans from paleo (except sweet potato) to Atkins, Jenny Craig, and even limited on weight watchers. They have been the enemy of the "low carbing," spray tanning, "fit fam" community for as long as any of us can remember.
Here are some facts and drinkbar do's when it comes to this tasty, versatile, root.
- Potatoes are high in potassium. Potassium is a nutrient most Americans lack. EVERY cell in the body REQUIRES potassium to function. Less than 2% of Americans are getting the proper amount. We are to aim for 4,700 mg PER DAY. One medium potato WITH the skin provides us with 18% of our daily value.
- Eat naked. The potato, that is. Skip the butter and cream and bake it in strips in the oven for a lower glycemix index. Skip the oil and salt, and grab natural salt free herbs.
- Potatoes are high in fiber. Who knew? They are also high in vitamin B6, copper, manganese, and vitamin C( 121% of your daily value.)
- This root is HIGH in protein. Each 3-4 inch wide spud contains around 14% of our daily protein needs. A QUICK digested protein that also gives you energy? Sign us up!
- They are so easy to cook. Bake them, boil them, slice them or spice them. The possibilities are endless. Anyone can cook a potato and they taste good with nearly any dish.
- They have a good shelf life. Potatoes can stay in nearly any climate for much longer than other vegetables. No excuse for these spuds going bad.
- THEY ARE AFFORDABLE. Probably the biggest plus. Potatoes rarely see a spike throughout the season and can easily feed a whole family quickly and efficiently.
With so many gluten free grocery shoppers now, potatos are a good replacement for our doughy, inflammation causing counter parts. There are potato flours, potato pancakes, even potato vodka. Yes, you can embrace your inner Irishishness, in several ways while also being gluten free.
You say Potato, we say protein and potassium. Go on, get out there, hashbrown'n em' up if you must but get your potato on.
SEND ME A FREE FOOD CLEANSE
PDF TO PRINT AND CLEANSE AT HOME.